Call For Student Scholarship Applications
SOSP 2023, through generous donations from conference sponsors, will offer scholarships to assist students attending the conference. Each scholarship reimburses the SOSP conference registration and (fully or partially) reimburses ground/air travel to/from the conference and lodging expenses during the conference. Due to the high variability in travel costs, awardees are asked for their due diligence in finding reasonably priced fares. Applicants must submit an estimate of these travel costs with the scholarship application.
Scholarship students are expected to assist the conference organizers in some way. For example, scholarship students may be asked to scribe a technical session, or help with a town hall at the conference. These services are greatly appreciated, and provide additional networking opportunities with other conference participants. Actual duties will be assigned as the conference nears.
These funds are limited, and will be based on a combination of need and merit. Scholarship recipient contact information will be made available to scholarship sponsoring organizations.
Who Should Apply?
Funding is available to students (graduate and undergraduate) from any educational institution in the world. We especially encourage all groups underrepresented at SOSP to apply.
Applicants must be members of the ACM. See the ACM website for a student membership application. Note that ACM provides significantly reduced rates for students.
How to Apply?
To apply you should submit the following:
- An SOSP student scholarship application and supporting materials. The student should visit the scholarship application form and submit the following information:
- A complete SOSP student scholarship application. The application form must be submitted online at the linked Google Form.
- A short position statement. This position statement should explain the expected benefit of attending the conference. The statement should describe any research that the student has done, and list any published papers. This statement should be no longer than 600 words.
- Student's CV.
- A letter of recommendation from the student's advisor. This letter must describe the technical appropriateness of the student's participation, and any partial support from other sources (e.g., the student's institution) available to cover the costs of the student's attendance at SOSP. Advisors writing letters for multiple students should include an explicit comparison of how each student would benefit from a scholarship. The advisor should submit the plaintext letter separately, by submitting this online form.
Should I register for the conference by its early registration deadline?
If you will be attending the conference regardless of getting the scholarship, please register before the early registration deadline. We will reimburse this registration cost if you receive the scholarship. On the other hand, if you need the scholarship for attending and will otherwise not attend, please hold off. We will provide coupons for the award winners' registration (for those that have not registered yet).
|Application Deadline||August 15, 2023|
|Notification||September 4, 2023|
|Notification (Second Round)||September 8, 2023|
- Tanvir Ahmed Khan (Columbia University)
- Kevin Hsieh (Microsoft Research)
- Alan Liu (University of Maryland)
- Jayashree Mohan (Microsoft Research India)
- Rashmi Vinayak (Carnegie Mellon University) (Chair)
- Stephanie Wang (University of Washington)
Please direct any questions to Scholarship Chairs.